Re: [dev] sbase

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 08:00:02 +0200

On 24 May 2011 02:17, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> On 23 May 2011 23:51, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, I assumed he was talking about --long-options.  I use -- pretty
>> regularly and will probably wind up patching it in if it's missing.
>
> In a moment of uncharacteristic pragmatism, I've decided for these
> tools it's probably best to use getopt. Not using it works well for
> dwm and dmenu, but .. yeah. So -- is now supported, as are grouped
> flags, etc.

Now my alarm bells ring. Why is getopt() a good idea? What's wrong
with making no assumptions and checking flags with strcmp like we did
in suckless tools? I understand why ARGBEGIN { } ARGEND is no option
for the -- case, but I really can't see why getopt() would be any
advantageous compared to our style?

Cheers,
Anselm