Re: [dev] sbase

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 11:54:11 +0100

On 24 May 2011 11:45, Pierre Chapuis <catwell_AT_archlinux.us> wrote:
> If you push that to the extreme you want to understand how the kernel
> works too. So you should make sure those tools work on Minix3 so that
> you can achieve "big picture" understanding.

Fair point, though since we're pushing for a POSIX subset they ought
to work on Minix fine. I'll check at some point.

> I don't understand why so few people on this list are interested in
> Minix3. ~5k LOC for a POSIX-compatible kernel that can run most of
> the software you need on a Unix box sounds nice to me.

I'm secretly very fond of Minix. I remember getting a negative
reaction to it from the Plan 9 folks so I've not bothered to bring it
up since. But a tiny POSIX microkernel? Win. I've read a bunch of
Tanenbaum's books, too...

Only problem is hardware support. Ain't that always the way?

cls