Re: [dev] sbase

From: Rob <robpilling_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 12:57:21 +0100

On 23 May 2011 20:08, Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/23/11, Rob <robpilling_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Finally, I have an editor in the works, unfinished, but I plan to show
>> you lot at some point though</vapourware>.
> Interesting. More details, or show me the code. What's novel about him?

Nothing novel I'm afraid, I'm still waiting for that idea, it's a
stripped down vi clone and I'm planning on having the majority of the
commands filter though external programs, like :s would use sed and so
on. I'm busy with exams at the moment and I managed to brick the curses
stuff, so I'd rather not upload until I've got it back together.

On 24 May 2011 01:58, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> On 23 May 2011 19:53, Rob <robpilling_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have to hit ^D twice before eof is reported
> I wonder why this behaves differently to read(). Any ideas?

Guessing stdio buffering, I tried stuff like setbuf(stdin, NULL), but it
was having none of it. I suppose you could drop to read(fileno(..)) but
.. well.. I'm sure fread() shouldn't be doing that in the first place.

>> Also rm.c
> Thanks. I've modified it slightly to avoid having to get the cwd,
> since that opens a can of worms. (In short, POSIX makes it literally
> impossible ensure that you've got the entire path.)
I'm not sure whether moving up a directory will always work, what if
you're in $HOME and do
rm -r /tmp/dir1 ./dir2
(assuming /tmp/dir1 isn't empty, causing the chdir) it'll change to
/tmp/dir1, remove entries in there, move up to /tmp, remove dir1, then
attempt to remove dir2 (i.e. /tmp/dir2) when you actually mean
$HOME/dir2.

>> UK, right? Up late coding even with exams, I'm impressed.
> I can't help it, I think I code obsessively. :p
Haha, good luck with your exams if you keep that up!

On 24 May 2011 11:45, Pierre Chapuis <catwell_AT_archlinux.us> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:05:55 +0100, Connor Lane Smith wrote:
> I don't understand why so few people on this list are interested in
> Minix3. ~5k LOC for a POSIX-compatible kernel that can run most of
> the software you need on a Unix box sounds nice to me.
5K? Why has no one mentioned this before?!

On 24 May 2011 12:12, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want to go that route, I suggest to build the hardware yourself
> as well, here is a brilliant guy who did it a couple of years ago:
>
> http://www.homebrewcpu.com/

Or if you don't have the time for hardware:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sNge0Ywz-M

Cheers,
Rob.