Re: [dev] Sandy editor

From: Yoshi Rokuko <yoshi_AT_rokuko.net>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 13:53:12 +0200

+----------------------- Rafa Garcia Gallego -----------+

> > * I tend to prefer a mode editor, because there are less keybindings
[...]
> I too have mixed feelings about this. On one hand modeless editing
> seems saner and we shouldn't really need that many commands. On the
> other hand, vi-like modal editing feels so powerful it is almost a
> pity to abandon.

i tend to prefer a modeless editor - we shouldn't need that many commands

> > these ones will be saner (without modes):
> > - ^[hjkl] - move around
> > - ^[HJKL] - move around selecting text
> > - ^[fb] - go next/prev page
> > - ^[np] - go next/prev page
> > - ^k - find manpage on word under cursor
> > - ^w - save
> > - ^W - save as
> > - ^q - quit
> > - ^Z - save+quit (it's similar to vim's ZZ)
> > - ^! - prompt to run program on selected/full text (indent, etc..)
> > - ^z - must not be handled, because it's used by the shell for
> > backgrounding apps
>
> Those seem fine for now. There should be something to move around
> word-by-word (and also reminder to self: I have to reimplement
> word-by-word movement).

what we really want is:
^U -> Delete from cursor to start of line.
^W -> Delete word before the cursor.
^H -> Delete character before the cursor.
^A -> Move cursor to start of the line.
^E -> Move cursor to end of the line.

regards, yoshi