[dev] Cleanup of (hg.)suckless.org

From: garbeam <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 17:35:43 +0100

Hi there,

I'm reviewing the cruft that we have collected during the years at
hg.suckless.org and identified some candidates I would like to delete
and some other candidates that should be relocated elsewhere:

DELETE
- 9libs
- diri
- genosite
- gentoo
- godwm
- libdraw.old
- make
- stali-toolchain (this is outdated and better stuff is in the works)
- wmii-2.5 (obsolete)
- wmii-3 (obsolete)
- wmii-3.5 (obsolete)
- wmii-3.6 (obsolete)

RELOCATE
- last (google code) ??
- libixp (google code) ??
- r9p (google code) ??
- vp (google code) ??
- wmii (google code) ??
- wmiirc-rumai (google code) ??
- skvm (dunno, don't get it) ??

I think the candidates for deletion raise no questions. The candidates
for relocation are mainly wmii related, which I don't consider
suckless anymore -- its code base became quite huge and the whole
concept to configure a WM through a 9P interface seems overkill after
reconsideration. I don't want to be rude, but I really believe that
wmii should be hosted at google code, it really does fit better there
than on suckless.org.

@Kris: Please let me know how much time you need for the transition
and if you need any help. I guess a transition could take a couple of
months quite easily and requires some time on your side as well.

As an alternative, I'd like to suggest that wmii 4.0 could also well
share the code of dwm 6.0 without any changes, but I guess such a path
won't be of anyones taste.

I think with this cleanup, suckless.org will remain more consistent
wrt to our philosophy.

Please let me know any thoughts on the issue. Also feedback of people
that welcome this cleanup is welcome.

Cheers,
--garbeam