Re: [dev] Distribution

From: Paul Onyschuk <blink_AT_bojary.koba.pl>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 23:19:08 +0200

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 12:41:24 +0100
Sir Cyrus <sircyrus_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the most suckless Linux distribution?

What about Alpine Linux[1]?

As said before GNU parts sucks so much, that even Linux kernel looks
good. Alpine Linux uses Busybox and uclibc by default. No GNU coreutils
and no glibc in base system is a good start.

Alpine Linux setup is very small - only about dozen packages in bare
system. At first I found weird that even man pages are missing after
default installation. Although this means that groff is missing too and
can be replaced by mdocml or even by plan9 troff, depending on user's
choice.

One thing that isn't to my taste is OpenRC init system. I can swallow
this, compared to other distros bottlenecks.

Using plan9 software by default shouldn't be much problem either. Just
uncomment some options in Busybox build config for package[2] and port
9base/plan9port (I didn't have time to resolve problem with building
9base against uclibc).

[1] http://alpinelinux.org/
[2] http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Creating_an_Alpine_package

--