Re: [dev] Suckless Smartphone?

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 15:52:38 +0100

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 13:31:58 +0100
David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> The point is that a cheap phone and cheap tablet DOESN'T fit what I
> need to do at the moment. I don't need a big screen at the moment just
> a temporary 3G data plan (so taht that I can access info and services
> in the middle of nowhere) with a phone sized display, which
> unfortunately doesn't exist. Even if I could get a temporary 3G tablet
> it would be less useful when I'm trying to run out of the office and
> look at a place during my lunch hour. (I'm sure there are situations
> where a tablet makes sense, but they seem to be "couch based" rather
> than mobile.)

Indeed. I take a backpack everywhere partly so I can take my netbook. If your pockets are big enough you could try an early (ARM-powered) eee bluetooth-tethered to a phone or even with a dongle. If your pockets aren't that big you could get a Zaurus from ebay & do the same, but you'll need some bluetooth add-on or a funky adapter for the dongle, and in both cases be careful to get one that will work. (There was no kernel later than 2.6.26 for the Zaurus, last I checked.) Also, dongles can be a pig to set up with Linux, depending on phone co.