Re: [dev] [st] alternate screen switching

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 14:15:50 +0100

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 12:37:32 +0200
Bert Münnich <ber.t_AT_gmx.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure about the "exporting" thing. If there's one thing I've
> learned from writing url-select [1], it's that a lot of URLs get line
> wrapped inside curses-based applications (e.g. mcabber, irssi, weechat,
> vim, newsbeuter, mutt) and there's nothing you can do about getting them
> right at the terminal level.

With irssi inside screen inside XFCE Terminal, Terminal can highlight long URLs almost perfectly - subject only to its own bug i not recognizing some of the characters. I assume it can because irssi allows the terminal to wrap text (and screen doesn't mess about with that). An prog which put the terminal into no-wrapping mode (which is easier to work with) might well get its URLs chopped.

IMO this issue puts a dent in the idea of fill-screen terminal apps being plain text, even though there is a work-around.