Re: [dev] Experimental editor

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:01:32 +0100

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Peter John Hartman
<peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> A simple editor probably shouldn't have any more keybindings than, say,
> surf; in fact one or two less: page up/down, up/right/left/down, and find.
> One doesn't need modes for that.  If you want to do something wacked out to
> your file (like go to the third word on the 4th sentence and delete every
> vowel), that should probably be done *outside* the editor.

I've got a long comment queued up (restricted internet situation at
work), but just to respond to the comment about moving stuff "outside
the editor". One big disadvantage of doing everything "by hand" is
that such stuff isn't in an undo history that you can execute. I tend
to use undo a certain amount, mostly immediately (which could be
simulated by just keeping one copy) but a reasonable amount undoing
several sets of changes.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision researcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com