[dev] Re: Suckless sh

From: Troels Henriksen <athas_AT_sigkill.dk>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 14:15:40 +0200

Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm> writes:

> Anyone know why ghc is that big? I'm having trouble figuring it out.

It bundles a large amount of libraries, and probably duplicate versions
with profiling data as well. A self-contained GHC build (as created
after compiling and prior to installation) is 182MiB on my system, and
that includes Cabal (the package manager/make system), program coverage
checking tools, debugging tools and a bunch of other things. Binaries
generated by GHC are indeed fairly huge, but the number in the quoted
email seems inflated.

--
\  Troels
/\ Henriksen