Re: [dev] Re: Suckless sh [Was: Re: New utility]

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 13:47:58 +0000

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Ethan Grammatikidis
<eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 20:17:23 +0200
> Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm> writes:
>>
> Shell language in general, as a tool to use. It's not just cp & mv,
> there are other things.

cp -r and mv -r should be split into separate commands, agreed. And
named arguments should be passed in environ instead of argv (which, as
an array, should be reserved for positional arguments). But you can't
blame the shell. Try bashing terminal emulators, I think we can all
agree on their obsoleteness :)

>> rc's redirection syntax is remarkably clean and powerful, but it
>> shouldn't be very hard to hack "2>&1" support in there if you don't want
>> to use ">[2=1]".
>
> Actually I find rc's way less annoying than bash's but there's a sort
> of inconsistancy between > and | which might be there for a good reason
> but which keeps surprising me.

Care to elaborate?