Re: [dev] st features that'd be nice

From: Andrew Hills <hills.as_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 12:39:45 -0400

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Stefan Mark <mark_AT_unserver.de> wrote:
> For me, performance is the main issue. Drawing of 'mc' on higher
> resolutions (1600x1200 or 1920x1080) tooks about 10s (sometimes more) on
> a reasonable fast machine. Drawing 'top' took a bit less, but not much.
> When doing so, st itself uses nearly none cpu time, but x11 took around
> 97%. (using st 0.1.1)

Strangely enough, at 1400x1050 on a Pentium M laptop running at 1GHz,
I find no performance issues running top, with a CPU usage somewhat,
but not significantly, higher than xterm's (for both st and X). This
is with st tip and 0.1.1.

Using st as an xterm replacement for some time, I found that the
missing scrollback buffer is unimportant to me, so long as I have
less, and the only real workaround I use is telling vim that it's
running in an xterm.

--Andrew Hills