Re: [dev] Anti-GPL hipsters

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:11:05 -0000

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 14:46:24 -0000, Stephen Paul Weber
<singpolyma_AT_singpolyma.net> wrote:
> Somebody claiming to be mikshaw wrote:
>> As far as the cc-nd license RMS apparently prefers for his own audio, I
>> fully agree this is hypocritical and wrong.
>
> Not to wade into a flametroll war, but for the record (in case there are
> people who actually don't know) RMS believes in ND licenses for speech so
> that he has a legal tool against people who take such speech out of
> context
> or misquote it in other ways.

By forbidding *all* derived works. I don't wish to hire a lawyer just to
tell me if I can translate a speech, resample video recordings, generate
3D video from independantly distributed footage from two cameras or
otherwise modify recordings without changing the meaning of the speech. In
fact, any restrictions on video (as opposed to audio) footage is
unacceptable. And IMO, the same is true of audio. Misquotal is harmful,
whether the misquote is considered a derived work or not, or if copyright
has expired. Copyright is the wrong tool (save for moral copyright).