Re: [dev] [dwm] x11 corner case bug

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:02:06 +0200

On 25 October 2011 00:08, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unmapping proved to be a bit slower, which is why I used the window
>> moving trick. I guess the best is to move the windows into negative x
>> land to have a proper fix.
>
> How much slower?  Unmapping would seem to be more correct, even if we
> all know there's no hope for a performant x server.

Perhaps not really measurable on modern hardware. Anyways, the real
problem with unmapping those windows is that they then need to be set
to withdrawn state as well, which may result to some kind of a "pause"
logic in several X11 client apps, thus they can react a bit laggy
compared to the window move trick, apart from extra X events being
generated in various places.

Cheers,
Anselm