Re: [dev] dmenu's lsx binary naming conflicts with lrzsz!

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:20:23 +0000

On 28 November 2011 17:08, Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Scripts have to be able to depend on command names; command line
> interfaces are interfaces too. In theory, bin directories should
> contain directories containing the actual commands.

Plan 9 does this to some extent. It's always seemed obvious to me that
executing 'foo/bar' should refer to, say, '/bin/foo/bar', not
'./foo/bar'. So instead of having 'apt-get install' we ought to have
'apt/install'.

I don't remember if Plan 9's concept of the path works in this way or
not, but it definitely has subdirectories in '/bin'. This would be
good if you have a certain namespace of many commands, like APT.

And if you use APT a lot you could union-mount '/bin/apt' into '/bin'
proper, so you could just 'install' stuff.

cls