[dev] Re: 6.0 roadmap layout decision

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 13:43:06 +0100

I also made my mind up regarding the two other topics that are on the
roadmap for 6.0:

First, there was the idea to simplify the Monitor handling in dwm, due
to the fact that many users use (still?) single-head setups. I thought
a while about possible simplifications but concluded it is not really
worth the buzz.

Second, there was the idea to change dwm's core to be X agnostic in
order to have a nice backend system for example wayland. But I also
conclude this is not really a good idea as this would make dwm's code
base more complex for no real benefit. If one day wayland or something
else will become the leading graphical environment on Linux/Unix then
we can change the necessary code portions to target those and we have
the older releases for X.

These two decision bring dwm 6.0 a lot closer now.

However what I do indeed plan for dwm 6.0 is sharing the functionality
of dmenu that can be shared among both, mainly draw.c. This would
enable us to write certain functions once. There is also potential for
st in this (and probably a future editor project as well that could
use draw.c).

Cheers,
Anselm