Re: [dev] dmenu-4.5

From: Džen <yvldwt_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:55:55 +0100

Hey Connor

I've discovered a little imperfection when running dmenu with the -f
flag (note that this is really a tiny issue and maybe it would be better
to just ignore it).

Due to the fact that dmenu locks up the keyboard before reading data
from stdin, the user isn't able to exit dmenu while it is waiting for
(or reading) data from stdin. As far as I know the only solution would
be to switch over to a tty outside of X, then send a kill signal to
dmenu. This can be annoying if dmenu has to wait for data for a long
time or no data is coming at all, and the user simply wants to exit
dmenu.

IMO, dmenu should always exit if XK_Escape or Ctrl-C is pressed. This
could be solved by select()'ing through the stdin fd and X fd, in order
to be able to handle KeyPress events from X.

The attached patch works for me, however I'm not sure whether this is an
elegant solution. A possible issue with this patch might be the loss of
speed while reading data from stdin (due to the select() calls, etc).

What's your opinion?

--
Džen