Re: [dev] interested in issue tracker dev

From: Paul Onyschuk <blink_AT_bojary.koba.pl>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 14:22:50 +0100

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:27:28 +1100
Alex Hutton wrote:

> It seems to me it might overly complicate things to build the issue
> tracker into a mail system or into git.
>
> The core functionality of tracking issues can be implemented in a
> meta-language.

Static web generators (werc/ikiwiki etc) doesn't store that either.
Focus on most recent content and let version control system handle the
rest. I don't see why issue tracker can't do the same.

For every issue use mother message with recent informations (status
and everything else needed) and then just modify it:

> git commit -m 'Issue #XXX [Issue name] Opened by [user1 name]'
> hg commit -m 'Issue #XXX Status set to ABC by [user1 name]'

I know that storing different mail archive in repository and sending
something else to mail archive (e.g. bugs_AT_) is questionable. Think
about this as cleaned up mail archive. Spam, trash talk, redundant
reports will always get to the mailing list (bugs_AT_). Of course you can
remove that from inbox, but every user will go through the same
process. On other hand you can keep clean mail archive in repository
pretty easily.

Someone already suffered the pain of cleaning up the mess, so you can:
(A) Fetch mail archive of issue tracker with only relevant informations.
(B) Generate static web content and use Google/DDG to search through
non-crippled data.