Re: [dev] [st] Drawing optimizations

From: Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 23:54:17 +0100

Hi all,

I've made st ~10x faster on my computer. If there are no major bugs I
will tag tip as version 0.2.
Here's the relevant commit message:

* add a timeout value (SELECT_TIMEOUT) of 20ms in the select() call
* wait at least 20ms (DRAW_TIMEOUT) between draw() calls
* only copy dirty lines from the buffer to the screen

what draw() does:
* clears dirty lines in the buffer
* draws the longest same-attributes string of each
  dirty line to the buffer with multiple xdraws() call
* copies the current dirty line from buffer to the screen with a single
  xcopy() call

this changeset makes st run ~10x faster.