Re: [dev] [st] Drawing optimizations

From: Martti Kühne <mysatyre_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:02:58 +0100

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 01:22:20PM -0500, Peter John Hartman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately, the tmux-split-pane problem still persists. The
> tmux-split-pane problem is this: if one pane in tmux is spitting
> out a bunch of text (e.g. a sudo cat /var/log/messages or most
> compilations) you can't really switch panes or do much of anything
> at all.

Hey, another tmux+st user!

Could you be more precise please, maybe provide me with a screenshot or
something like that, because I can't really understand what problem you tried
to describe there. In the current setup I can split windows horizontally as
well as vertically without error.

Myself I'm still not done on a similar tmux related problem, because tmux
assumes the terminal it's running on understands utf8 / graphical characters
and non-standard glyphs, which means until I recently added a quick fix [1] for
it I didn't see any pane limits, which meant erroneous display with any of
mutt, htop, finch, pane splits (irssi+nicklist), ncmpc. Well, I know I could
have this easier by adding more complete utf8 support, but I was too lazy to
look into the documentation / existing utf8 handling.

If your problem is in fact related and st fails at horizontal padding, please
try the patch and see if it helps.

cheers!
mar77i

[1] https://gist.github.com/1658193