Re: [dev] Suckless operating system

From: Amit Uttamchandani <amit.uttamchandani_AT_my.csun.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 15:27:38 -0700

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 01:51:21PM +0200, Kurt Van Dijck wrote:

[snip]

> I fully agree. after looking to minit & stuff, I decided to write our own
> init daemon to incorporate some safety stuff.
> * booting is done in parallel.
> * udev (+/- 5sec) was replaced by our (small) fdev (now takes some 0.1 sec).
>
> some examples:
> dell laptop: booting was over 45 seconds (from kernel starting timers), now 15.
> via epia board: was 25, now 4.3 seconds
> embedded ARM cpu: (never used debian there, but busybox): no final measurements,
> but boottime of 18 seconds got reduced to 6.
> OpenMoko: boottime is originally (very long) 2m40s, reduced to 35.
>
> I admit our init is quit more complex than strictly necessary (we try to guarantee
> that a watched process is not dead-locked, and therefore have a hardware watchdog
> in the init process, and ...).
>
> I'm not familiar with BSD init's.
>
> Kurt

Hello,

Just came across your message while going through the suckless archives.
You mentioned later on in the thread that you have not opensourced the
init daemon yet. Has this happened? Or is it possible now? I would like
to take a look at some of the optimizations you have done.

Thanks,
Amit