[dev] [surf] much slower after switching to debian

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 13:53:55 +0100

So I recently switched from my old Gentoo install to a fresh Debian
Squeeze box. For the most part it has been a pleasant experience.
However, surf is now /much/ slower at rendering. Quite often
resizing a window will cause a several second pause before it is
redrawn. It's worth noting that my computer is old and slow
(1.2GHz), but I recently upgraded the RAM to 2GiB, and it certainly
isn't swapping or anything.

I presume this is due to the version of libwebkit in Debian (1.2.7),
but I used to use the same version in Gentoo, without seeing such
severe speed issues. Has anybody else seen similar problems? I want
to keep my sanity, so don't plan on delving far into what's going on
in webkit.

Nick