Re: [dev] new to stali - some basic questions

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:15:45 +0200

Hello.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:15:45 +0200 "Lentes, Bernd" <bernd.lentes_AT_helmholtz-muenchen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm new to stali and hope this is the right place for my question.
> Currently i'm creating a tool cd with static compiled binaries. I'd like to use the cd when i have a possible compromised system. The cd would provide me with tools i can rely on and which i can use for investigation, because it does not use any software from the possible compromised system.
> I succeeded already in creating a static version of netcat. With other binaries i have problems. While searching on the web, i come across stali.
> I thought this might be very useful for my purpose. I downloaded http://dl.suckless.org/stali/stali.tar.bz2 and mounted it following the guide in the readme file. Finally i chrooted in it.
> But when i try now ldd on some binaries, it shows me the needed *.so files. I thought using static binaries don't need shared objects. Am i wrong ?
> And all the binaries in /bin and /sbin are symlinks to busybox.
> Can anyone explain me if i can use stali for my purpose ? Do i have to compile every binary i'd like to have ? Or is there a possibility to extract static binaries from busybox ?

There is no real result of sta.li yet, due to the lack of manpower.

You might look at:
https://github.com/pikhq/bootstrap-linux
https://github.com/chneukirchen/sabotage

They have a working simple framework to create the bootstrap environā€
ment to build more static packages.

I'd like to hear how far you get.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann