Re: [dev] Bug when unfocusing/focusing GTK3 windows

From: Eckehard Berns <ecki-suckless_AT_ecki.to>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 15:53:22 +0200

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 09:16:55AM -0400, Josh Rickmar wrote:
> Eckehard Berns <ecki-suckless_AT_ecki.to> wrote:
> > On my system the following patch to dwm seems to work around the GTK3
> > focus problem:
> > [...]
>
> Sorry, but that doesn't seem to work for me. (Were you testing using
> xombrero?

No, I don't usually use GTK3. So I looked for anything that uses GTK3
on my system and that was gcr-viewer. Also, since the XFlush() worked
for me I suspect that there is some kind of race condition involved.
I wasn't too confident that patch would help you too.

My system at home usually also behaves differently from my work machine.
I'll try things at home and maybe I find another workaround.

> One of our spectrwm devs says he believes he found the bug. I don't
> know WM code so I may be putting words in his mouth here.. but I
> believe it was something about calling an unmap on all other windows
> first, then an unmap on windows in the current workspace, which meant
> newly mapped windows were totally obscuring the GTK3 window, causing a
> VisibilityNotify state VisibilityFullyObscured. Don't ask me what all
> that means :)

Hmm, AFAIK dwm doesn't unmap windows but rather moves windows in and
out of view when switching tags. On the other hand VisibilityNotifies
might still play a role in this, but I wouldn't bet on it. I'll keep
it in mind though.

--
Eckehard Berns