Re: [dev] antialiased fonts in st

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 17:06:45 +0200

Hello.

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 17:06:45 +0200 "Peter A. Shevtsov" <petr.shevtsov_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On 05/10/12 at 10:48am, pancake wrote:
> > I'm suggesting this change because truetyped fonts with antialias are hard
> > to read, probably more than transparent terminals.
> >
> > -#define FONT "Liberation Mono:pixelsize=12:antialias=true:autohint=false"
> > +#define FONT "Liberation Mono:pixelsize=12:antialias=false:autohint=false"
> >

> I've played with various font settings in config.h and there were no difference in how
> fonts look, neither I set antialiasing true nor false. Then I decided to change
> system/user fontconfig antialiasing settings and those changes made st display fonts
> differently. So, I propose the following patch where st uses system/user fontconfig
> settings.
>
> Or am I missing something?

The config.def.h is a recommendation, for how st could look good on an
average system – or more precisely the system I am using. The most mini‐
mal configuration would be to just use »Mono«, which will select some
kind of mono font, some pixelsize. But things will look ugly on
first start, which will scare about the intermediate users suckless
could at‐ tract and later convert to full believers. Having the more
than one option in that font string allows the non‐experienced users to
grasp how the font format should be.

Sadly, I haven’t found a way to to overwrite the global settings in
fontconfig for just an application. So the needed antialiasing in Fire‐
fox (The web looks ugly without!) will automatically overwrite the st
settings, where using non‐antialiasing will create more readable output
with small monospaced text. Maybe that’s a topic which will come up when
Wayland is moving things forward.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann