Re: [dev] Adding utmpx stuff

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 19:40:59 +0200

> That e‐mail has several reason to not support utmpx. The proposed patch
> has the same size of an equal dbus interface that would call some kind
> of logind. That’s the kind of cruft people complain about before they
> start to reinvent it using Javascript or Go.

xterm uses libutempter, which is a library which calls to one program called
utempter (with setgid) and this program handle all the utmpx stuff. But I
think is not a good solution because:

   1) libutempter only supports GLIB and FreeBSD
   2) Having a program like utempter is a big mistake, because anyone can
      insert entries in utmpx only running it.

utmpx is necessary if you want use a lot of Unix tools (write, talk, biff,
and a lot). I agree that put all this stuff in st scary me to.