Re: [dev] [st] toggle font

From: Edgaras <devoas_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 08:27:55 +0300

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 05:25:58AM +0200, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 05:25:58 +0200 "Roberto E. Vargas Caballero" <k0ga_AT_shike2.com> wrote:
> > > I missed this feature a lot when light conditions and distance to
> > > display change, often so with a notebook, even more when different
> > > displays plugged. Of course, tmux helps -- kill, start new st, attach to
> > > the right session --, but I like this approach more.
> >
> > I also need this feature, but maybe could be done in other way. I talked
> > about this with other persons of the list, and we liked let st be configured
> > using the stdin of st, so you can do it something like:
> >
> > configurator | st
> >
> > And, for example, you could use dmenu and select the font you want to use.
>
> There is xdotool(1) and friends for such weird stuff. Noone is really
> using dmenu. It’s a bloated interface to text strings. Hopefully it will
> die soon.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Christoph Lohmann

Well as someone who uses dmenu extensively I would be interested in
alternatives.

I think dmenu is doing it job pretty well. And I'm not sure I understand where
it is bloated. Though maybe it depends on what you compare it with. Looking at
other program launchers dmenus is way smaller and simpler, while also being
much more general (thats the reason I use it quite a bit: vim file, buffer
selection; jump to functions in vim; url entry with bookmarks for browser
{opera}, and of course launching applications).