Re: [dev] [surf] [patch] Multiple views, one process

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 18:04:06 +0100

Quoth Carlos Pita:
> I've coded this patch that considerably reduces surf memory usage
> (and some LOCs) by avoiding the creation of a new process each
> time a new webview is created.

I have mixed feelings about this idea.

On the one hand, I like that new windows are new processes. It makes
sense, and ensures that unix tools like kill, and I imagine workload
schedulers, work as expected.

On the other, webkit-gtk is slow and memory-intensive, and seemingly
has been designed with a many tabbed one grand window sort of thing
in mind. Which makes deciding how best to play with it difficult.