Re: [dev] [surf] [patch] Multiple views, one process

From: Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:27:56 -0400

On 19 October 2012 13:16, Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have mixed feelings about this idea.
>>
>> On the one hand, I like that new windows are new processes. It makes
>> sense, and ensures that unix tools like kill, and I imagine workload
>> schedulers, work as expected.
>
> I know. I just think that the memory tradeoff is significant enough to
> pay this cost in terms of concept. As I've said before I'm still able
> to isolate groups of views opening new surf processes as roots of
> these groups. As I see it new views opened from inside (i.e. from url
> links, in the lapse of a short-lived exploration session from some
> given root) reside in the same process (and usually in the same tabbed
> parent window). That's as far as I would go with this.
>
> Regards
> --
> Carlos

I think the largest benefit is the cache. Loading up many
http://google.com's would mean you'd have to reload all of the images
and such, whereas with one process, you wouldn't have an opportunity
of overlap cache.

for unix-tooly-ness with kill, you could intercept signals and only
have them apply to the current window.

calvin