Re: [dev] I don't want to live on this planet anymore

From: Brandon Invergo <brandon_AT_invergo.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:47:01 +0100

> I quickly overcame the assignment with:
>
> paste names.txt grades.txt
>
> My professor responded by saying "you are doing it the wrong way".
>
> It's preposterous to not use the tools given to us by unix gods.

You *were* doing it the wrong way. The assignment wasn't about the final
result, which was trivial, but about the process, which presumably was
to involve basic stuff like reading and parsing text files, formatting
output, writing to a file, etc. Instead, what you did was the KISS
equivalent of opening both files, pasting them into Microsoft Excel and
exporting as a text document. It's preposterous to not use the tools
given to us by windows gods.

Obviously, the assignment was simple for anyone with a couple of brain
cells to rub together but your professor wouldn't be able to assess any
of your programming capability from your solution, only that you've
somehow managed to wrap your head around a basic unix command.