Re: [dev] I don't want to live on this planet anymore

From: v4hn <me_AT_v4hn.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 23:47:18 +0100

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 02:59:26PM -0400, Calvin Morrison wrote:
> Except that we need to learn how to use the tools thst exist instead if
> implementing our own.
> You shouldn't need programing ability for something like this

yes and no,

there are two cases here. Either you could have done this exercise quickly
and really think that it's a bad idea to write such code yourself.

In that case: You're a jerk.
Hell, overcome adolescence and get real! He wanted to test your
knowledge. He never told you to replace paste with you own code
(though this could only improve quality for the gnu paste at least imho).
You should (just theoretically though because of time constraints..)
be able to start from scratch and rewrite every single standard application
or at least understand how it works. How else could you appreciate them?
Also, if you want to use software as a black box as a student of computer science,
quit university.

Or you were to lazy to care for the technical details and you could not write
this quickly without checking man pages or fighting compiler warnings.

In that case: You're a stupid jerk.
These are (the really first) basics and if you can't implement this
without further thinking, then how do you expect to properly understand anything else?

Decide for yourself.

v4hn