[dev] [announce] rat - ridiculously abysmal tar

From: Andreas Krennmair <ak_AT_synflood.at>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 12:00:10 +0100

Hello everyone,

Yesterday, out of frustration and boredom, I started a minimalistic
implementation of tar in Go which I named rat ('tar' reversed, but also
'ridiculously abysmal tar'). Today, I reached a point where I can show that
piece of software to you.

It currently supports the tar operations c, t and x (which makes it a bit more
useful than sltar) and the options -f, -C, -v, -z and -j (for decompression
only). Since the Go standard library already comes with implementations of the
gzip and bzip2 algorithms, no external binaries for compression/decompression
are necessary.

You can find the current source code here:
https://github.com/akrennmair/rat

Feedback and patches are welcome.

Best regards,
Andreas