Re: [dev] [suckless] Migration to git

From: Kurt H Maier <khm-suckless_AT_intma.in>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:12:22 -0500

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 05:08:56PM +0100, Roberto E. Vargas Caballero wrote:
> > The git source tree is more than four hundred percent bigger than the
>
> are you comparing the size of a project in python with the size of a project
> written in C?. The logical relation should be 2 times the size of hg, and
> then you could say that they have a similar size.

No, if the logical relation is double the size, then git is STILL twice
as big as THAT.

> It is due to git keeps the api in small programs than you could use in your
> scripts. These small programs are 100% Unix philosophy (do only one thing and
> do it fine, write an output that can be used as input for other, ...). Work
> with these low-level progams (plumbling in git vocabulary) is hard, and it
> is the reason git have a 'user friendly' (porcelain in git vocabulary)
> programs, which are pretty similar to these you can find in mercurial. If
> you don't need an advanced use of git then you will read only the pages of
> porcelain programs, whose number is similar to the programs in mercurial.
>
> Maybe you like more have a library and have to link all the others programs
> with it, and duplicate the work in all the binaries where the library is
> linked, instead of using small programs.

All you've done is convince me that git is its own operating system.
It's ludicrously complex and needlessly huge. I don't care that it is
trendy or popular with developers; most of the 'benefits' you listed are
basically using git as though it were an entire disk filesystem.
git-stash is revolting.