Re: [dev] [surf] Follow a link without mouse?

From: Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:57:20 -0800

On 01/31/2013 09:18, Thuban wrote:
> Hello,
> surf is supposed to be used via keyboard, but I don't know any useful
> way to follow a link without switching to mouse.
> Do you have any method?
>
> Regards.

I confess, it's been a while since I used surf, so maybe it already does
this. But one possibility would be to mimic the links/elinks
keybindings, where the up and down arrow keys (j,k if you insist) move
the focus between links found on the page. The right arrow (l) follows
the currently-focussed link, and the left arrow (h) brings you back.

The problem with links/elinks bindings has always been that people
expect the up and down keys to move the cursor a line at a time. But the
next/prev link might be a half- or full page away and the resulting
screen jumps can be disconcerting. Elinks tries to restore the ability
to scroll a line at a time by using the mouse wheel, but this defeats
the whole point of being keyboard-driven.

The other solution found in links/elinks is to provide numbered hints
like the ones in the plugin pancake suggested.