Re: [dev] [st] Two small patches for string handling.

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:17:04 +0100

Greetings.

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:17:04 +0100 "Roberto E. Vargas Caballero" <k0ga_AT_shike2.com> wrote:
> > Since a long‐time goal of suckless is to have its own better libc, is
> > this a selection which is done to find the best functions. Strsep seems
> > to be superior to strtok[_r], so I’m using it now.
>
> Ok, I only hope that users of systems without strsep (for example solaris
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/percona-patches/+bug/526863) think like you.

Can’t they send a patch to their vendor to include that function? If
not, stop using Solaris. It’s easy. Solaris is like Windows that is only
supported to have backwards‐compatibility with old programmers unable to
relearn and adapt to the world.

Strsep has a better API than strtok. I’d like to keep it, but a simple
replacement is possible too. Doing this just because some Unix beards at
this crappy company that in its last lives created Java and all of this
slowness, many thousands of programmers unable to think logical and
more; no, I won’t do this for them.

Solaris, Sun, Java – that’s RedHat 1.0, just worse and more destructive.
The problems only shortly start to dissolve.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann