Re: [dev] dwm switches view on _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 22:24:13 +0100

Am 09.03.2013 21:30, schrieb Andreas Amann:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 11:36:57AM +0100, Markus Teich wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> a month ago i started using dwm.
>> In my rules i send firefox clients to tag 2.
>> Now, after starting dwm i am on tag 1 and after i started firefox via
>> dmenu, i automatically get switched to tag 2.
>
> Do you also get switched to tag 2, if you start firefox from a terminal in
> tag 1?

Yes and also when opening a new tab in the running firefox from a
different dwm tag.

>> Right after starting dwm this is not that much of a problem, but when i
>> have some work in progress and use both views (via mod+tab) and then
>> start another application, which is not in the current tagset, i loose
>> one of my views to the tags of the started application.
>
> Starting an application does normally not cause an _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW event.
> Does this switching happen for all applications, or only for firefox?

I noticed the same behaviour for starting pidgin and gimp but not for
thunderbird.

> FWIW, i have similar rules for firefox, and I don't see your switching
> behaviour. When I start firefox or any other program with dmenu, all visible
> tags and the alternative view stay as they are.

I use session restore in firefox, what is your setting for the startup
action?

Nevertheless the secondary view is still replaced if any non visible
client receives the _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW event and that should probably
not be the default behaviour.

--Markus