Re: [dev] print utility

From: Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 19:27:38 -0700

On 03/30/2013 18:28, Calvin Morrison wrote:
> Comrades,
>
> I just spend about fifteen minutes writing this little tool that I call print:
>
> http://mutantturkey.com/print/
>
> All it does is print the specified line from a file.
>
> example usage:
>
> $ print constitution.txt 1
> We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union,
>
> $ print print.c 1
> #include<stdio.h>
>
> todo:
>
> pipe from standard input
>
> What do you guys think of the tool? Of the code? It does one thing and
> one thing well.

I'll assume this is coding exercise, and set aside the questionable need
for this utility.

- Line 28. Error messages like this should go to stderr. Stdout should
contain the correct result, or nothing. Adhering to this rule will
make the program more suitable as a filter in a pipeline.

- What guarantee do you have that the input file won't contain any lines
with length > LINE_MAX? As far as I know, that's an arbitrary number,
and there is no intrinsic limit on the length of the lines in a Unix
text file.