Re: [dev] Call for pkgsrc users

From: Thorsten Glaser <tg_AT_mirbsd.de>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 21:16:03 +0000 (UTC)

Calvin Morrison dixit:

>What is the problem though? for me initialization should be
>ridiculously simple. init should call a simple script, that script
>contains the daemons you want to run, or anything else you want to do
>during boot, including starting networking, login prompts and stuff.

That’s called BSD init. Well, mostly, there’s still /etc/ttys
which is like /etc/inittab on SYSV init except it *only* contains
terminal info (the getty part, but even more simple/terse),
but /etc/rc is that one script.

On a modern BSD using it (OpenBSD and MirBSD are the only ones
left TTBOMK), it’s a bit complex because the base system is
pretty rich and dæmons are not normally started, but it’s easy
to replace it by a one-dozen-liner (in fact, on my Cyrix 486DLC
laptop with 12 MiB RAM I’ve done so).

bye,
//mirabilos
--
“It is inappropriate to require that a time represented as
 seconds since the Epoch precisely represent the number of