Re: [dev] [st] RFC halt function

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:30:12 +0100

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 01:45:04PM +0300, Edgaras wrote:
> Frankly I'm now I'm fairly interested why would people need scroll back. I do not use tmux or screen. Well I use dvtm but I dont use scroll back functionality there. I find that "less" is mostly sufficient for my needs. And apps like etitors, for example vim, provide their own scroll function. And from what I hear scroll back sounds to be pain to implement.

I use less for scrollback generally and it's fine. The reason it is
useful for me to have an alternative is for cases where output is
unexpectedly large, and rerunning the process isn't practical. Also
getting lots of unexpected stderr output won't be handled well by
less by default.

So yes, it's when something unexpected happens that scrollback is
useful.