Re: [dev] Re: Why HTTP is so bad?

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 12:57:49 +0000

On 05/24/13 12:02, Dmitrij Czarkoff wrote:

> That said, I never actually tried to make any serious use of gopher
> (not to mention content creation), so I may be misunderstanding it.
> But even if there is no protocol better then HTTP, it doesn't
> necessarily mean that HTTP is OK.

Types can't be declared properly in Gopher. HTTP has Internet media
types, รก la MIME. MIME even has a text media type, so that you can
choose to not implement subtypes thereof or create new ones without
sacrificing either of the text media type nor the subtype, such as HTML
or markdown.

RFC822 evolved from manually typed text. Due to reasons of familiarity,
it seems, this loose syntax was carried over to HTTP. But aside from
that, it's fine. And it's easier to standardize formally the subset of
HTTP syntax actually in use, while retaining implementations, headers
and whatnot.