Re: [dev] suckless dotfiles approach

From: Łukasz Gruner <ukaszg_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 15:27:56 +0200

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013, at 14:24, Markus Teich wrote:
> Please, enlighten me!
>
> --Markus
>

> Am 08.06.2013 13:18, schrieb Łukasz Gruner:
> > you might use a real version control instead of git.

not having any particular one in mind, just one that behaves properly,
git is not yet ready to be used as a general version control, as it has
no proper user-facing api.

Anyway,
my setup for this task (not saying it is suckless, just that it works
for me) involves:
- a set of dirs for different file types (ie. dot/ for files which
whilst linking will be prefixed with a dot, bin/ for compiled stuff)
- makefile which does the hardlinking, compiling etc
- a set of mercurial subrepos (ie, dwm is mercurial subrepo thanks to
hg-git extension, and my own patchqueue for dwm is a subrepo parallel to
dwm - makefile understands how to deal with them)

All the editable files are getting hardlinked and dirs - ie. ~/.vim/ -
are created. Binary files are copied. There is no automagical adding of
dotfiles to the repo.

--
  Cheers,
  Łukasz Gruner