Re: [dev] [sbase] [patch] Get it building on OpenBSD

From: Steve Dee <mrdomino_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 12:10:36 -0400

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Galos, David
<galosd83_AT_students.rowan.edu> wrote:
>> It doesn't, as far as I can tell. That implementation comes from OpenBSD's who.
> Is the utmp file guaranteed to be machine endian?
OpenBSD assumes it is. And on Linux, man 5 utmp claims: "The file
format is machine-dependent, so it is recommended that it be processed
only on the machine architecture where it was created."

> This patch seems to imply
> that.
>
>> *environ = NULL;
> The linux manpage suggests 'environ = NULL'. Is BSD different in that regard?
Either will work as long as it's done consistently everywhere. NULLing
the first entry seems slightly better (in case anyone has their own
pointer, or doesn't check for NULL), but I've added a guard against an
already-NULL environ. (This version also uses a slightly less harmful
Makefile hack.)