[dev] Re: coreutils / moreutils - DC a directory counter

From: Thorsten Glaser <tg_AT_mirbsd.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 01:17:54 +0000 (UTC)

Calvin Morrison dixit:

>I was sick of ls | wc -l being so damned slow on large directories, so

What, besides the printing and sorting, is the slow part anyway?
Is it the VFS API or just the filesystem code?

In the latter case… could workarounds exist? Someone asked this…
http://fenski.pl/2013/07/looking-for-a-specific-fuse-based-filesystem/
… on Planet Debian this night.

Something to think about. (No further input from me, besides
mumbling that I had a vague idea of similar concept and wouldn’t
be surprised if something like that already existed, and probably
only in the Plan 9 world…)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
(gnutls can also be used, but if you are compiling lynx for your own use,
there is no reason to consider using that package)