[dev] Re: Issue with DWM and x-terminal-emulator launching

From: James Latteier <jameslatteier_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 12:56:44 +0000 (UTC)

Anselm R Garbe <garbeam <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 28 July 2013 09:51, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 27 July 2013 15:29, James Latteier <jameslatteier <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >> This isn't related to fonts per se. When I launch st using the mod-key
> >> shortcut the system will freeze when killing X. This doesn't happen with
> >> another terminal emulator or when launching st from dmenu. I haven't
> >> seen this reported elsewhere but one other person on the arch forum
> >> has the same problem.
> >
> > Well this must be related to how dwm forks and how st deals with dwm's
>> approach.
> >
> > I think this is an st issue that needs to be investigated.
> >
> > Is this arch-specific or has this also been observed on other
> > 64bit(-only?) lunix distros?
>
> A remark, a quick workaround would be:
>
> static const char *termcmd[] = { "/bin/sh", "-c", "st", NULL };
>
> Though haven't tested this...
>
> Best regards,
> Anselm

I tried your *termcmd[] patch and it didn't fix the problem for me.

Just for the record I'm using an up-to-date archlinux distro with a
single-core 64-bit atom processor and a 3.10 kernel, current dwm-git
and st-git. The other case I know of is also archlinux, on an Inspiron
core-i5 processor, dwm 6.0 and st-git.

-James