Re: [dev] [stali] Status

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 17:37:50 +0300

Am 8/29/13 4:58 PM, schrieb Andrew Mikhnevich:
> I'm intresting in stali so.
> In the conference(http://suckless.org/conference) was the performance of this.
> Presentation here http://suckless.org/slcon13.pdf
>
> But no http://git.sta.li/ or is it still private.
>
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 5:27 PM, FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> as a follower of the suckless-projects, I was wondering how stali is
>> progressing.
>> There hasn't been news for almost three years now and I hope the project
>> hasn't been put on ice.
>>
>> What is the current status?
>>
>> FRIGN

Thanks for pointing to the pdf-file, Andrew. I seem to have missed it
while going through the slcon-page.
Reading the slides however, I still wonder what happened to
http://git.sta.li announced to be launched that night.

I agree there are many things to be discussed while designing a new
GNU/Linux distribution, but just the basic idea of abandoning the
redundant /usr-directory and building stuff in a nice sandbox, it is
ingenious enough to deserve higher attention than it has gotten to this day.

A project of this magnitude, in my opinion, really needs a separate
mailing list. Centralized dev-, hacker- and wiki-ml's are good for
already functional tools, but if you want to build something of this
size from the ground up (which hasn't happened yet in the
suckless-community), the conditions definitely have to be more suitable
for focused development.