[dev] Re: Talk about suckless

From: Martin Kopta <martin_AT_kopta.eu>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 08:26:54 +0200

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 02:26:08PM +0200, Martin Kopta wrote:
> Hi, I will be giving a talk about suckless project on 6th October [1] for small
> audience (from 10 to 100 people). Talk description is (translated):
>
> "Introduction to ideology of software that smells less and presentation of
> results of the suckless project. Demostration of dwm window manager, terminal
> emulator st, statically linked distribution stali, minimalist web browser surf
> and a few others. This talk is particularly suitable for minimalist hackers
> who crave efficient work environment."
>
> Is there something I absolutely shouldn't forget to mention?
>
> I will post here my presentation slides and maybe even some people questions
> after the talk.
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1] https://www.google.com/calendar/render?eid=bmJzYzU2dmo3Nm1ybjYzM2ExOWNrbGR0aGsgaHJ1c2Vja3kubmV0XzRwYWExYTNiY2hwdTZsOWVlczQxZ2c2dHQwQGc&ctz=Europe/Prague&sf=true&output=xml

Alright, slides are available online [1] and the video will be ready after
processing [2]. Thank you for giving me hints for my presentation. I kept the
presentation simple to be able to talk freely and to quickly adapt to interests
of the audience.

Pretty much everyone was very interested in the topic and I even got request
from chief redactor of one of the biggest czech IT portal to write some
articles about suckless. So far, I am planing a series of 3-5 articles
(ideology, dwm and st, stali, other small utils, ..). All the attendees were
captivated by the talk and the software ideas.

Of course, there were few haters.

Some feedback:
* "..software that sucks less… but it actually means that it’s totally useless,
   but never mind (IMHO).." [3]
* "Where is the systray?" (from audience during questions)
  (I have half-jokingly responded that he can list processes and use IPC.)
* (translation) "Surf browser: clean WebKit, can display pages and follow
  links. You don't need anything else :) http://surf.suckless.org #LinuxDays"
  [4] (I have made clear, that surf relies on other software to do various
  things. Like much of suckless software.)
* "Does surf have plugins?" (question from audience)
* (translation)
  "every software suck" (I have repeated this statement few times)
  "...it sounds like [plain-marketing phrases], but [suckless] means it
  seriously." (Attendee is refering my joke after the enumeration of suckles
  features - simplicity, frugality, correctness, .. ) [5]
* "How do the distributions offer software configured by compiling?" (question
  from audience)

Best regards,
  Martin Kopta

[1] http://martin.kopta.eu/talks/suckless/suckless.pdf