Re: [dev] I got a fever, and the only prescription ...

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 16:08:25 +0200

Greetings.

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 16:08:25 +0200 Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk> wrote:
> Quoth Anthony Martin:
> > ... is more DBUS.
> >
> > https://lwn.net/Articles/551969/
> > https://github.com/gregkh/kdbus/blob/master/kdbus.txt
>
> At the risk of being forever shunned, I actually quite like what I
> hear about kdbus. It sounds like a *way* better way of doing what
> the dbus people have done so awfully - and very much not just a
> "throw it in the kernel 'cos that's faster approach" (though IIRC
> they tried that originally). I'm particularly pleased that it looks
> like it will be able to replace Android's Binder in a way better and
> more secure way.

Kdbus throws away the dbus protocol, which is a good sign. The ugly
namespace imitation from Java was never any good idea. Don’t even look
at the encoding of values.

The above link to the kdbus description looks like a good way to handle
the IPC between nodes. It seems that you can send every protocol you
want between endpoints. Now simple userland tools to use all of this
without GNU options are needed so the interface isn’t bloated by Red Hat
incompetence.

The filesystem approach could be reused by *BSD aswell.

I hereby welcome our new kdbus IPC overlord.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann