Re: [dev] music db editor

From: Evan Buswell <ebuswell_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 16:13:09 -0700

Since people seem interested in the filesystem-is-metadata approach,
here's a pretty ancient perl script that I used for about 5 years to
do that (wrote this before Python was even a thing). Files are assumed
to be organized as artist - album/track.title.mp3. In order to better
replicate the filesystem structure on portable media players, this
tags album as "artist - album" so you can get rid of all the lists on
the interface except album view. I used this with a 1-line script,
"mvmp3s" for quickly moving files to the right place, which was just
something like:

for file in *.mp3; do mv "$file" "$(echo $file|sed "$_AT_"|titlecase)"; done

Not hard to just type that yourself, but slightly faster and easier this way.

Like I said, I've finally decided for various reasons to take the
opposite approach. So I built a script to organize files based on
tags. Attached that, too, just in case. It basically uses the iTunes
format.

Honestly, I feel like the filesystem solution *should* be better for
me, but isn't, just because of the inability of too many
filesystems/shells/tools to handle the full unicode charset in
filenames (including very common characters like '/', ':', '?'), which
consequently makes it impractical to implement tag2fn and fn2tag as
proper complements. Basically the choice came down to putting awkward
if readable substitutions into my mp3 files ('[/:]' -> ' - '; '?' ->
'_'), and breaking compatibility with the rest of the world, hence
never integrating mp3s into the library without a lot of overly
unmechanical careful renaming, or to stop being such an iconoclast. Of
course, I still want to do things at least right-ish (that suck less),
so here I am.