Re: [dev] [sbase] [patch] Add logname(1)

From: Chris Down <chris_AT_chrisdown.name>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 22:39:08 +0800

On 2013-10-18 17:32, lambda lambda wrote:
> Hi guys and thank you for your hard work so far. I'm sending my first
> patch here. As the subject says, i'm adding logname(1).

I don't see the point of logname if it only grabs $LOGNAME from the
environment, anyone can just as easily do that from any environment they be in.
It seems a bit sucky just to duplicate the results of `echo "$LOGNAME"` for the
sake of a program.

More complex logname variants look at the terminal connected to stdin to work
out the login name. This, however, sucks, just as much as writing a full
program just to print out an environment variable.

Basically, I don't see the point in this. I'm willing to be convinced
otherwise, though.