kdbus again (was: Re: [dev] Some thoughts about XML)

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 19:17:55 +0200

Greetings.

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 19:17:55 +0200 Thorsten Glaser <tg_AT_mirbsd.de> wrote:
> Chris Down dixit:
>
> >I don't even know what to say to this...
>
> Must be the full moon. First 20h “liking” kdbus, now this…

It shouldn’t be using »dbus« because dbus is this [0]. But yes, with the
local addresses all of the IP filtering logic will be reimplemented,
just for the kernel. Just take the 127.0.0.0/8 network and add a default
flag for not allowing any packet forwarding. If communication between
two hosts in that network happen the kernel could use a special case to
do more efficient data copying. Even systems not supporting the local
special case could run services by just having TCP/IP implemented and a
loopback device. All the logic already created for IP will be available.
And it will teach people IP routing and filtering.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann

[0] http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html